a small town in Southern Lithuania
Where the Jewish Community is no more
Jewish Age Old Home 1909 - 1941
Laying the foundation stone of the Jewish Age Home in Vilkaviskis 1909
Postcards of the Jewish Old Age Home in Vilkaviskis
with the kind permission of Hana Slutzki of Kibbutz Maoz Hiam.
The Jewish Age Old Home today
Many welfare institutions were active in Vilkovishk: "Gemiluth Chasadim" (ran a "Pinkas" from 1800); "Maskil el Dal" (their "Pinkas" dates from1880) giving loans to the needy without interest and small payments for returning the money; "Mathan BeSeter" which helped people whose economic situation had deteriorated and who were embarrassed to ask for help; "Maoth Chitim" provided the needy with necessities for "Pesach". In 1910 all four institutions were united into one big institution "Tsedaka Gedolah". "Hachnasath Kalah" helped poor brides; "Linath haTsedek" supplied poor passers-by with food and accommodation; "Bikur Cholim" helped needy patients and sent them doctors and medicines. There were also Jewish public baths and several "Mikve". In 1912 the community built a magnificent "Home for the Aged" with a lovely garden
The old synagogue and the other prayer houses which existed before the war, continued to fulfill their mission after most of Vilkovishk Jews returned home. All the societies for learning Judaism were active again as was the "Chevrah-Kadisha".
During all this period the Rabbi of the community was Eliyahu-Aharon Grin (1875-1941), who was murdered in the Holocaust.
After the disbanding of the community committee in the middle twenties, the welfare activities were transferred to the "Ezrah" society, which together with the "Adath Yisrael" society had about 120 members who donated about 500 Litas per year. These societies helped the poor, arranged fund raisings (as for "Maoth Chitim" for Pesach) and also initiated special welfare activities.
The pride of the community was its "Home for the Aged" which also had a nursing department. Its budget was covered by donations and by a regular allowance from the municipality (2,000 Lit. per year).
The "OZE" organization dealt mainly with Jewish school children, and its clinic was open twice a week. The municipality supported it with 2,400 Lit. per year (1932).
The welfare institution "Maskil El Dal" who gave interest free loans to the needy, renewed its activity in 1918 at the initiative of J.M.Levinovitz, its director for many years.
With the help of material from the magnificent article by Josef Rosin I am attemting in the following pages to give some small picture of Jewish communal life in Vilkaviskis before it was all tragically destroyed in the summer of 1941.